Subject: Re: what gives with xx_softc?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: None <davem@eastcoast.co.za>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/17/1999 22:33:33

> Actually pseudo-devices short-circuit autoconfig. When you add a
> pseudo-device foo # line to a kernel config, an entry in the pdevinit
> structure (in ioconf.c) gets generated listing fooattach and the #. At one
> point in the startup, each routine listed gets called with # as a
> parameter. So pseudodevices don't need a struct dev. They are a bit
> different that way. ;-)

Well thanks for that Bill! I suspect it explains partly why I was
getting so confused with the xx_softc stuff. However, the object of
the excercise is actually to write a PCI card driver for an intelligent
ISDN card so I need to know the other stuff anyway (thanks Colin).
I'm actually a little dissapointed now in that the pseudo device is
not going to teach me as much as I'd hoped, but maybe it also
means I'll now get it going before the night is over (its 10-30 PM
here...).

Regards

Dave