Subject: Re: VOP_CLOSE, was Re: Locking errors
To: None <fair@clock.org, stackfs.a1@hell.gud.siemens.at>
From: Bernd Salbrechter <salb@hell.gud.siemens.at>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/11/1999 10:36:59
Dr. Bill Studenmund wrote:

> I've tested compiling on an i386, and have activly used ffs & nfs
> filesystems. Can others please try all our other filesystems?

I using the union-fs on my private NetBSD-boxes (a i486 tower and a i586
Laptop), but not very havily.

I use it to mount an extracted sourcetree on a CD-Rom under and area,
where I make local configuration an build. A seconde use was for building
pakages, where i use one area to extract to, the next to make local
changes, and a third to compile in.

The only trouble i steped in, was mounting them using manual mount and
parameters from the fstab. In the case of thre stacked filesystems the
mountpoint of the second gets the device of the third and if i gave
this name it badly mounts he seconde two times. That looks more like a
problem in mount and not the fs. A defined prefered type of the given
name to mount, would be great for stacked file systems.

For this application the way the union-fs handles removes, are not realy
what I like. In this case I will prefere to fall back to the original
version, if I remove a modified version, but the file disaperes.