Subject: Re: "default" outgoing address
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar@zippo.unna.ping.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/06/1999 19:53:19
--==_Exmh_-1910096388P

In message <19990204122435.A6400@noc.untraceable.net>you write:
> >The physical address of one machine for instance is
> >kechara.rc.vix.com, with an ifalias of kechara.flame.org.  I really
> >want all outgoing connections (unless bound to a specific port) to
> >originate from the alias, not the real interface address.
>
> then...ifconfig the flame.org address first as the real address and
> then add the vix.com address as the alias.

or, run gated and route all traffic through the correct address.
Works fine for me, I even can set which hosts see what originating address.
And, if the alias/adress goes away, I can't get traffic out of the box and
notice it faster (mostly because of "no buffer space available) than in the
case where I send out things with a nonexistant address.

Gruesse
       Oskar
	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>

--==_Exmh_-1910096388P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.3i

iQCVAwUBNro1GLA63tqjeAhZAQGpDgQAmtSOCokLz/f3VCTfooV508CPPXqwag7O
mU1+jzUUw4qevpCx9zG3NSj9ZfFmQhev3EHWGQBSfU+mVBm2FK6CRHeY+CHPnfk/
WTv93aVzs+54hucnCi54VwE3DtD7bXJWBQFpjDnfmDDfvG6KW62drTdc3OTpGRti
40E46x2Fsho=
=7edx
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_-1910096388P--