Subject: Re: DIOCEJECT changes
To: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@t.dk>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/04/1999 10:18:09
On Feb 3, Soren S. Jorvang wrote
> I like it. I also think the new eject(1) should just punt if DIOEJECT fails -
> getting unmounting right always is just too tricky.

eject already has a '-f' flag, which force ejects without umounting.
Should be still supported. But I agree this shall not be the default behavior.

> Changing DIOCJECT might also be a good opportunity to create a more
> generic eject ioctl to cover tapes and miscellaneous as well.

No, actually disks and tape have really different semantics. I'm not
sure it would be a good idea to try to merge them.
eject for tapes seems actually redondant with 'mt offline'.