Subject: Re: Analysis of kern/6891 (ps output) [Was Re: Semi fix for PR kern/6891]
To: None <eeh@one-o.com>
From: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/01/1999 00:16:31
Whoa Turbo!

While I fully agree that pmap_kenter() is an abortion (and I didn't
want it added in the first place), I think people are a little
confused.

The entire *point* of pmap_kenter() was to optimize one particular
case -- that being where R/M information is (in theory) genuinely not
needed.  This is the case for pages that are exclusively mapped into
the kernel (e.g. with uvm_km_*()).  Similarly, the VAC aliasing issues
are not relevant in this case.

If pmap_kenter() is being used for other purposes, then something is
seriously broken.  But I scanned a bit and didn't find anything that
looked suspicious.