Subject: Re: /dev/ksyms
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/26/1999 08:35:16
On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

: Just to throw in my $0.02, I wouldn't mind to see kernfs and procfs
: required *and used*.

I'd mind seeing it required, however, if it were used to "enhance" the
output of certain commands (ps, w, bleh, blah...), that could be useful.
Say, `ps' would show only a pid list, uid, ppid, and main command name (the
stuff you typically see in parens), and if procfs is mounted, it would give
a full display.

IOW, if it's required for "any" operation, that's bogus.  If it's required
for "full" operation but leaving it out keeps "minimal" operation present,
that's better.  8-)