Subject: Re: Proposal for generic kernel event framework
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/26/1999 20:11:05
One thing that annoys me is the proliferation of namespaces, and
sockets seem to be the cause of many.  It would be nice to see what
kevent sockets are existing/active/etc, and perhaps how many or
who is listening. How can we publish (and manipulate?) this namespace?
perhaps via /kern ?  what are the implications (security?) of (not)
doing so?

One thing that might be wanted is a kevent socket for the
creation/status change of kevent sockets.  I know that they can be
orphaned, and listeners get events when a sender reattaches, but
it might be useful to get notified that a socket you're waiting
for has been created, rather than polling.  For example, a userspace
process waiting for the kernel thread which generates the events
it is interested in to start up and create its socket.

--
Dan.