Subject: Re: Proposal for generic kernel event framework
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/25/1999 21:59:32
Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:
> This is a description of my framework for generic event notification
> within the NetBSD kernel, called `kevent'.
> [ ... ]

It would seem that, for instance, you intend this to be used for APM
event notification.  However, in that case, you really do want to
ability to say "not right now," i.e. a disk is busy and knows that it
(maybe) can't be (safely) suspended right now, so it can say "eee,
don't do that!" to a syspend event.

Also, you need a way to tell whether clients, and what kind, are
listening.  For instance, you may want the APM code to say "if there's
a user client listening, don't do the suspend when every kernel client
has receive the message, let the user client listener do it.  you
might also want to have some provisions for conditions in which a user
client is declared "no longer functioning."

> 	"suspend"
> 	"resume"
> 	"line"
> 	"battery"