Subject: Re: sys/dev/ic/z8530tty.c 1.52 -> 1.53 is broken.
To: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/25/1999 14:57:42
>Point taken, I mis-spoke. But this change needs to stay in. If we don't
>have that part in there, then mac68k looses BADLY if someone hooks up
>peripherals which supply clocks to the mac. These clocks come in on the
>same pins as DCD and CTS. If we leave the #if 0, then we never will be
>able to support even having these things plugged in. :-) mac68k really
>does have to have a way to say don't enable interrupts on these pins. It
>does it now by having these status pins not show up in cs_rr0_cts &
>cs_rr0_dcd.

If this really is an attribute of how Mac hardware wires up external
clock signals, then shouldn't the Mac-specific attach frontends be
telling the MI code about that via an attach-time flag, rather than
a #if 0/ #if 1 compile-time option?

Is the zs8530 driver still lacking the frontend machinery to do
that, or what?