Subject: Re: /dev/ksyms
To: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/25/1999 20:17:30
> Hi,
>
> > : Is /dev/ksyms the best place for this?  Why not /kern/ksyns?
> >
> > Probably so that you can get at ksyms without having to have kernfs.  :)
>
> I knew that someone was going to say this.  But can anyone tell me what's
> so bad about kernfs?  Especially if we are now going to bloat the kernel
> with a linker anyway...

There is nothing bad with kernfs, and actually it doesn't matter if the
symbol table is accessible both through kernfs and /dev/ksyms (like
/kern/msgbuf vs /dev/klog, although a little bit different).
I am also rather sure that noone have been thinking about making
ksyms/kernel-ld/lkm non-optional: If you have a system that is sparse
on memory you probably want a small static linked kernel without
any extra facilities. I would for sure not generate in any kernel
symbol tables and loaders in a 5MB MicroVAX II :-)

I don't see anything wrong with adding new well-defined functionality
as long as it is optional.

-- Ragge