Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/24/1999 21:03:22
"Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com> writes:
> >  > - /dev/ksyms, to be able to access an up-to-date symbol table. (as a side
> >  >   effect ps stopped to care about from which kernel the system was loaded :-)
> >
> > This is pretty cool :-)
>
> But how would you ps a crash dump?

well...

the crash dump contains that kernel, which means that it contains the
kernel symbol table...

you just need to get a few 'bootstrapping' symbols from the kernel
file's namelist, then from there you dredge out the in-kernel symbol
table, and from there you can do all the lookups you want.

it shouldn't be too unlike the way you have to bootstrap dead kernel
memory access right now on many architectures.  (need the page table
base in order to access everything else in VM, but in order to get
that you have to typically do Special Stuff, because, well, you can't
just get stuff straight out of VM yet.  8-)

cgd