Subject: Re: sucky performance on i386/1.3I
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/22/1999 17:26:44
On Fri, Jan 22, 1999 at 10:36:01PM +0100, Anders Magnusson wrote:

> > > Have you tried Ragge's test program?
> >
> > No, I've not seen it posted. Might have been daydreaming.
> >
> Ok, we'll take it again :-)
> (Actually, it's not my test program, it's written by Jens Nilsson).
>
> Note: The most interesting is that this program doesn't affect FreeBSD
> or Linux machines at all...

It seems to me that we're seeing some kind of scheduler misbehaviour,
possibly exacerbated by the recent addition of more things that use
kernel threads and in-kernel processes.

Linux' scheduler isn't anything like ours; I don't know about FreeBSD's.

What I don't understand is why this only happens on some machines.  Perhaps
an interaction between something running too long at high IPL _and_ a
scheduler issue we had all along?

Thor