Subject: Re: PCMCIA if_ne: struct ne2000dev
To: None <grefen@hprc.tandem.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/18/1999 16:30:50
stefan Grefen writes:

>Wrong guess :-) Older NE cards (esp. cheap ones) decided to place
>the ethernet address in various places:
>    1) CIS with correct tag
>    2) CIS .. after the end of the CIS-structure
>    3) Same method as reals NE2000 (PIO from PROM)
>    4) ...
>
>I guess for modern cards we should check the CIS-tag and only if that
>fails dive down into the dark-pit of ne2000dev.enet_maddr ...

It'd be really nice if new ne2000-compatible cards "Just Worked"
without having to be listed in a compiled-in driver table.

That means figuring out what the common ways to specify the MAC
address are, for new cards, and then coming up with a heuristic that
doesn't break any of the older/cheaper cards.

Trying #1 before diving into ne2000dev.enet_maddr, and then
trying #3 afterward (if enet_maddr fails) can't break anything that
already works, can it?