Subject: Re: Autosave of panic backtraces (was Re: Getting into the debugger)
To: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/16/1999 23:15:48
"Brian C. Grayson" <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu> writes:
>   Recently I was wondering, how hard would it be to add code to
> panic() to print out a backtrace, and save it somewhere on disk
> before dying?  It's probably a bit over my head at this point
> as far as implementing it, but I have a few ideas....

if you print it out, it'll be in the message buffer.  if you print it
out before you do the crashdump (i.e. from the same place the panic
message is printed, panic()), then it'll end up in the crashdump
(along with the rest of the message buffer).

then you just use dmesg w/ -M and -N on the crashdump and kernel image
to get out the text.

cgd