Subject: Re: passing in the booted kernel name...?
To: lucio@proxima.alt.za, Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: SAVE MY WALRUS <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/11/1999 10:48:51
Lucio de Re sez:
/*
 * According to Todd Vierling:
 *
 * > In general, `machdep.booted_kernel' can not really be made MI, and relying
 * > on it in the system is Bogus.

Todd, I beg to differ.  It doesn't matter that we can't access it after
the boot; there's gotta be a way to at least divine from whence it was
booted, i.e. "machindep.boot_device" and "machindep.boot_file".  Those
two things could be passed in.  I lack sufficient knowledge to pass them
in myself.

If we can get the info, we might _not_ be able to use it, but we'd know
from whence it came.  In the case of a netboot, it's not that hard
to find out the machine from whence we tftp'd our kernel [the boot
code could grab that info, couldn't it?].  In the case of an alternate
partition, the boot_device would contain the device, be it "wd(0,1):g",
"/sbus/esp@0,800000/sd@3,0" or whatever, and the boot_file would contain
the booted kernel name.

The idea is that it would be nice to know _where we came from_.

[...or am I Missing Something Here? [TM]]

 *
 */

				--*greywolf;
--
"Windows/NT - From the people who brought you EDLIN".