Subject: Re: Overlooked/ignored PRs
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/04/1999 22:41:54
"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:
> The problem is that we don't have enough people handling pr's. We
> really *want* to handle the PRs faster than we do -- we just aren't
> always the best at it. It isn't any desire to neglect them, believe
> me. It is just a lack of volunteer labor.

>From where I sit, that statement needs a bit of qualification:

There is a set of people who want to work on NetBSD, and who have
demonstrated that they have the skills to fix bugs.  (There are many
way to demonstrate those skills, of course.)

The set of people in that set, who are also willing to do the
thankless scut work involved in fixing PRs is very, very small,
especially when presented with the opportunity to do more
'interesting' things.

It's human nature to want to work on 'sexy' things.  That may be
especially problematic in volunteer organizations.  (You find that
you're not doing "cool enough" stuff, and you suddenly find that you
have less time to volunteer!  8-) PRs, release engineering, quality
assurance, package creation, general maintenance, etc., just aren't
particularly sexy.  Really unfortunate, since they're vital.

cgd