Subject: Re: Converting to little endian
To: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/28/1998 09:57:38
On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Lennart Augustsson wrote:

: > :  Besides, I would think that converting to little endian would be common
: > : enough that it merits a special function?
: >
: > That's the reason bswap was invented.  See the FFS_EI stuff for which Manuel
: > put in these functions.
:
: But bswap does something on all platforms.  I want a function that is
: a no-op on little endian and does a bswap on big endian.  It would
: be nice to have a standard name for it.

Then propose something ... it need only then be #defined in terms of a no-op
or a bswap*() call.  :)