Subject: Re: userid partitioned swap spaces.
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Lucio de Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/18/1998 09:11:49
According to Jukka Marin:

> Umm.. I'm just thinking of the situation where I have a server 400 km from
> here, running out of swap and only allowing new root processes to run..
> and the systems I configure never allow root logins from network.. so I
> can't log in to kill the memory hogs.. ;-)  It would help if I could
> allow some user like "operator" to have the same memory allocation
> privileges as root, so I could log in, su to root and kill something.

If one _could_ have something like kibitz reach out and page you, the
400km are no longer a big deal :-)  That is not entirely out of the
question, with some careful thinking.

> But if the killer process does its job well, this is not necessary..

I think merely suspending any further process loading until swap space
returns below the low-water mark would be less intrusive, but that's
merely a policy that can be tuned to local conditions.

++L