Subject: Re: pci based pcmcia cards?
To: Sabrina Minshall <sabrina@accesscom.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/17/1998 22:33:15
Sabrina Minshall <sabrina@accesscom.com> writes:
>   does netbsd support any of the TI PCI based pcmcia chipsets?

you actually mean cardbus chipsets, right?  (e.g. the 1130.)

Yes, it does, but only in PCMCIA compatibility mode.  That is, via
the normal pcic i/o addresses, and only PCMCIA cards (no cardbus
cards).

As far as I can tell, ~all cardbus cards do (or perhaps must) provide
PCMCIA backward compatiblity, so this is a fairly safe bet even in the
general case.

My laptop contains the TI130 chip(set?).  It works.  (i'm typing this
via wavelan from my kitchen, so it definitely works.  8-)

The most interesting problems you'll run into are more general:

	* does your system configure the CardBus/PCMCIA adapter
	  at boot time, or does it require the OS to do it?
	  If the former, it should work out of the box.  if not,
	  it'll require a little bit of magic, but only a chicken
	  or three's worth.

	* what ports/IRQs can your system use for PCMCIA devices?
	  This generally causes people a bit of hassle.

cgd