Subject: Re: userid partitioned swap spaces.
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/15/1998 15:01:31
On Dec 15, Todd Whitesel wrote
> This is a random idea I came up with while trying to imagine a solution to
> fork-bombs. It's like extending the "joe user mount point" idea to swap.

I'd really really prefer to see this solved in another way, such as a per-user
limits (which could also limit the number of user processes, cpu time,
etc ...). Maybe it would be a bit more work, but would be much more flexible.

Even if a user can't eat all the swap space, it should still be able so
start a lot of cpu-bound processes. 500 processes doing a "while(1);" will
not eat that much memory, but the machine is close to be dead anyway.