Subject: Re: userid partitioned swap spaces.
To: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/15/1998 04:09:18
> I assume you've already considered the security implications?

Not exhaustively, but there would need to be some way of preventing anyone
from modifying the contents of the swap file while 'mounted'. Also what
about executables with their read bits clear? These can be run, but it's
clear that the owner doesn't want anyone reverse-engineering them.

The safest thing would be to prevent all user reads and writes to the swap
file while it is mounted, and when swap files are unmounted they must be
wiped clean (this implies that we only mount a user's swap when he logs in
and unmount it when he logs out, so shutdown does not take forever).

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com