Subject: Re: kern/2845: more tunable kernel variable
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Lucio de Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/08/1998 05:54:16
> On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> : In kern/2845 the author ask that: SOMAXCONN, CHILD_MAX and OPEN_MAX be
> : protected by '#ifndef', so that one could change them with kernel options.
> : Is it safe to do so, or are there some userland libraries/programs that
> : use these definitions as well ?

I'm curious how long it will be before we get to the point where the
kernel will read a configuration table before installing itself.
Certainly, the complexity of the hardware on which NetBSD run is
increasing and the multiple architectures add another dimension to this
complexity.  To me this spells configuration tables and dynamic kernel
modules: basically a load-time "config".  Largely, the mechanisms are
in place and exploring the possibility may be a worthwhile project.

Just a thought...

++L