Subject: Re: adding a filesystem
To: Valentin Pepelea <valentin@netcom.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/06/1998 12:43:46
On Sat, 5 Dec 1998 19:12:45 -0800 (PST)
 Valentin Pepelea <valentin@netcom.com> wrote:

 > But when booting, the kernel says root is of jffs type. mount also tells me
 > that / is of jffs type while /usr is of the correct ffs type. WTF? Jesus?
 >
 > Well, where does the kernel get its filesystem information? Neither fstab nor
 > the disklabel says that root is of jffs type. Did I miss something?

The root file system is mounted r/o before /etc/fstab can be read.  The
kernel will auto-detect the root fstype unless is it hard coded in the
kernel config file:

config netbsd root on ? type ffs

etc.

Since your jffs and ffs have the same superblock magic, it's a luck-of-the-draw
as to which one gets to test for the root fs first, and if jffs goes first,
it's going to "win".

Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 940 5942