Subject: Re: LUNS in NetBSD SCSI Subsystem/SCSI Configuration
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/02/1998 08:08:13
On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Dec 2, Matthew Jacob wrote
> >
> > Mmmm... It's a lot of extra work. Personally I feel that max_target is the
> > bogus semantic.
>
> This can be discussed. But I don't think allowing a default value for
> these is a good idea, because defaults change over time.

Care to elaborate on this? The number of targets is a property of the bus.
The number of luns supported (as opposed to available) is a property of
the transport layer's (HBA's) ability to cope. In any given runstate post
configuratin I would expect neither of these to change. I mean, you don't
all of a sudden say "I feel like going from narrow to wide", or "I feel
that I have too much work to do. I think I'll stop worrying about luns
2 through 31,". If these parameters change, then a whole reconfig of that
branch of the tree has to occur, including rescan/reconfig of any target
drivers.

So- I must be misunderstanding you? Whaddya mean?

> In any case, having 2 different sementics for target and lun is not
> a good thing.

Yes, I was queasy about that a bit, but I guess you convinced me to go the
extra 3cm. for NetBSD on this.... :-)