Subject: Re: Modem will not answer
To: None <gson@araneus.fi>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/27/1998 16:35:15
> Now for the buggy part.  I found that when I set the terminal to 9600
> bps (only), the system will actually echo all terminal input back to
> the terminal, even though CD is low and getty is still blocked in
> open().  With the terminal set to other speeds close to 9600 bps, the
> echo still occurs, but the echoed data is garbage because the system
> always echoes at 9600.
>
> This is clearly wrong - a tty is not supposed to echo anything when it
> is strictly speaking not even open yet.

I made a note of this when it happened to me and I had to fall back
on an earlier kernel on an i386 which I used to attach a modem to.

I never did do anything with that note to find which change caused
this, but:  the last kernel I have that does not make the modem
hang up immediately after it establishes a connection is:
"NetBSD 1.2C  compiled on Feb 7, 1997".  Sometime after that date but
before the version was bumped 1.2D,  the "spurious echoing" bug must
have crept into the system.

-pk