Subject: Re: PCI I/O address allocation
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org, augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/25/1998 16:50:31
Hi,

> I've bought a Turtle Beach Daytona sound card.  It uses the S3 SonicVibes
> chip.  This chip is a really odd design, it requires six (6) I/O
> regions.  As I understand it the PCI spec supports 4 and that is what
> BIOS allocates.  That leaves 2 regions that the driver has to
> allocate.

Hmm, what makes you think that "the PCI spec supports 4" regions only?

OK, I have to admit that I only have the 2.0, not the 2.1 spec at hand
currently, but that one certainly talks about all 6 regions without
making any difference between them (at least I cannot find any).

If your BIOS supports only 4 of those regions, i.e. it only allocates
space for 4 of them, it certainly looks to me like a bug in the BIOS
implementation.

Is there anything that you can do about it in the BIOS configuration menus?

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) 	+49-228-985800