Subject: dynamically generated header files?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Castor Fu <castor@geocast.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/23/1998 15:44:38
I noticed that there doesn't seem to be a mechanism for exporting
dynamically generated header files to the userland include area,
like there is for assym.h.  Is considered a "Bad Thing?"

The reason I ask is that there are a number of magic numbers which show
up in user land, like __JBLEN in setjmp.h which are really manually
calculated from header files.  Another example is in
libc/arch/<arch>/gen which, at least in the mips case, could use some
of the constants which are calculated in assym.h.

Would it be better to have a single header file <machine/pubassym.h>
which could be included by things like setjmp.h, or are we likely to need
a collection of these, say one for setjmp.h, another for debugging stack
frames, etc?

I currently have a set of changes to bsd.kinc.mk which does most of what
I want, namely handle the existence of an 'obj' directory, etc.

	-castor