Subject: events (was Re: New IDE control program & changed to apmd )
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/20/1998 17:12:42
Jason and I have talked about putting in a generic "events" interface
for some time.

Basically, such an interface would allow kernel code or processes
running in userland to get "generic" events of various kinds,
indicating everything from power transitions to device
addition/removals to networking events of various sorts (like IP
addresses changing on various interfaces or interfaces going up/down),
etc. Anything could be put into the events system.

To userland, the events interface would be via read/write to a file
descriptor that would be acquired either via a pseudodevice or a
special socket like the routing sockets we have now. (Jason is adamant
that he wants to use a socket -- I'm far from convinced, if only
because I prefer using file system name spaces, but he's much better
at this stuff than me.)

To the kernel, the interface would probably be via registration of
callbacks.

Via the interface, one could register for interest in certain kinds of
events, and then get notification (via messages arriving on the file
descriptor or via the callbacks) of all the sorts of events we're
worrying about.

Perry