Subject: Re: Detailed info on Fail-safe cluster for Freebsd/unixes
To: Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>
From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/12/1998 23:58:38
On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Alex Belits wrote:

> > You don't know the
> > quality of either piece of software yet, but attitudes like that are a
> > big reason that free software isn't more highly catered to by commercial
> > companies.
> >
> > If you want native versions of things like WordPerfect, then reconsider
> > making posts like this.
>
>   If someone wants native version of things like WordPerfect, he should
> encourage companies like Corel to do port that software to FreeBSD. BTW,
> I have a strong suspicion that Corel will rather accept ARM port of
> FreeBSD than any kind of ass-kissing.

	Actually, I have to quickly agree with Chuck on this...I don't
personally want WordPerfect, mind you.  But, I would be willing to pay for
a copy of StarOffice 5.0 if it were native to FreeBSD, since it would
effectively allow me to totally ditch any reliance I have on Winbloze...

	I wish there were a way of "convincing" commercial enterprises to
port to us :(

	Here's a question for "those in the power and the know"...has
anyone considered "contracting" a port of a commercial software package to
FreeBSD?  For instance, I'd love having a copy of Staroffice native to
FreeBSD, and would be willing to pay for such...how many others are of the
same position?  How many would be willing to go so far as to pay FreeBSD,
Inc to approach StarDivision as *one* entity and say "here is a cheque for
X dollars to cover porting costs"?

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org