Subject: Re: delay before cpu_reset()
To: Manuel Bouyer <>
From: Stefan Grefen <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/11/1998 01:03:15
In message <>  Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> Ok, I understand that there are some situations where this delay is a problem
> (althouh 2s is not significant in face of the time needed for fsck after
> a panic ...). I still think a human needs 2 seconds to notice there
> is an unusual message and to look at it.
> The delay before reboot can be made a kernel option. This way you can
> specify the delay, or set it to 0 if you don't want any delay at all.
> The default would be 2s (for a server, I think you build a custom kernel
> anyway).
> Would everyone be happy with this ?

Thats ok, as long as there is an 'official' option for it. It's just a pain
to keep a modified file an track -current.

> --
> Manuel Bouyer, LIP6, Universite Paris VI.
> --

Stefan Grefen                                Tandem Computers Europe Inc.                       High Performance Research Center
 --- Hacking's just another word for nothing left to kludge. ---