Subject: Re: delay before cpu_reset()
To: Hubert Feyrer <>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/10/1998 18:17:32
Hubert Feyrer <> writes:
> Maybe making dmesg not restart from scratch on reboot for all machines
> would help here? On some systems (Solaris/sparc, i think even
> NetBSD/sparc), i can see old messages after reboot/panic. I think this is
> implemented by using the last page of memory for the dmesg buffer, and
> unless this memory is cleaned out on reboot, the information should be
> preserved (I don't know what die BIOS' memory test does there...).

Last i heard, resetting most PCs (for whatever reason, probably BIOS)
clears memory.

I've seen only a few PCs that didn't have this behaviour, but at this
point, they're all so old as to be pretty much useless.  (e.g. one's a

Indeed, having the message buffer stay around between reboots is a
very desirable, and expected, feature, if the machine allows it.  If
the i386 port (or any other port that _may_ support message buffer
permanence) has bugs in its implementation that prevent this from
happening, they should be addressed.  (Last i heard/saw, on some
ports, it just isn't practical to try to keep the message buffer
around, because e.g. another OS is going to run before NetBSD.  those
can't necessarily be helped.)

Chris Demetriou - -