Subject: NCR5380- Egads! It works!
To: , <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: John Ruschmeyer <jruschme@exit109.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/19/1998 13:44:14
Well, taking Stefan's advice, I took another look at the 5380 MI driver.
Converting it to bus_space() was, as he thought, not a big deal. The harder
part was getting all the dependencies right in the MD part.

Sixteen test kernels later... it sees and seems to be able to read/write to
a Zip drive.

My compliments to Jason, et. al. for the wonderful designs that make such a
thing done easily.

Now, before we all get too excited, I still have some work to do to get this
ready for any kind of distribution. Also, I'd welcome any advice on how to
approach the following:

    1) Implement a real Probe routine. For initial testing, I just took the
output of config for granted, knowing the board was there. I suspect I want
to look at something like the FreeBSD nca driver and see how it detects the
various variants of the 5380.

    2) Implement an MD Interrupt routine. At present, I'm totally polling
which was all my NCS (Chinon) controller could do anyway. Still, having an
interrupt routine for the "smarter" boards (like my old SUMO SCSI-AT) seems
like a good idea.

    3) Testing on more boards. Next week, I'm planning on setting up the
SUMO in a spare box. Also, a friend has said he lend me a PAS-16.

    4) Folding the changes back into the MI 5380 driver. At present, I'm
using a "local" copy with the bus_space() mods. Ideally, I suspect I should
make those changes somehow conditionally compilable on a single MI copy. (At
least until the Mac and Sun3 MD drivers are rewritten.)

Lastly, two questions:

1) What's the trick to mounting an MS-DOS formatted Zip drive? Is there a
Zip HowTo?

2) What's the best way to submit all this? FWIW, this will be as patches
against 1.3.2.

Thanks everyone... for everything already and in advance...
<<<John>>>