Subject: Re: Floating point in the kernel
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/19/1998 13:42:17
On Fri, Sep 18, 1998 at 03:38:30PM -0700, Curt Sampson wrote:
> What I envisioned is something fairly simple that would be easy to
> implement. This probably means no sophisticated negotiation of
> priorities or guarantees of access to the CPU. We'd need some sort
> of basic protection to keep a process from eating up so much of
> the CPU that you can never get on to the machine to kill it, though.

I guess nobody cares, but.. ;)  On the Amiga, the scheduler always
picks the highest-priority process that is ready to run.  Processes
that are at same priority level are run in round-robin system.  This
is simple, but it allows one busy-looping high-priority process kill
the whole system, which is unacceptable, of course.  Something like
this + a safeguard system maybe..? :)

  -jm