Subject: Re: Floating point in the kernel
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/19/1998 12:12:11
On Fri, Sep 18, 1998 at 02:16:32PM -0700, Curt Sampson wrote:
> It sounds to me as if we're going the wrong direction for this,
> and what we really want is some way to give the userland process
> enough priority that it's going to get the time it needs even on
> a heavily loaded system.

This would be the best solution for this and other problems.  Some way
of ensuring that a critical process gets all the CPU it needs - WHEN
it needs it.  On the Amiga, the scheduler was very simple, and a
process priority high enough allowed a process to get all the CPU it
wanted.

I think I've heard something about real-time support in linux - I don't
know any details, but maybe NetBSD should have something like that as
well?

  -jm