Subject: Re: CompactFlash
To: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/04/1998 21:19:29
On Fri, Sep 04, 1998 at 08:12:28PM +0200, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> I'd really like to get this to work, because transferring 40MB
> of pictures from the digital camera to the computer via the serial
> link is painful.

My motive is a medical instrument I'm developing.  Don't want to
do the tests on windoze..

In early July, Stefan Grefen (grefen@hprc.tandem.com) said it works
for him, at least with some patches.  Here's what he wrote on this
mailing list:

! They are supported (ok 99%) I'll send a PR with my mods later today.
!
! I had to add a small hack to wd_pcmcia.c to recognize the SAN disk and
! to skip the memory only mapping and the generic mapping.
! The latter one should be fixed somewhere else, but I didn't had time to
! figure out why and where it broke.
!
! There should be a quirk entry for the SANdisk as it shows up as
! wdc-controller with 2 drives with identical contents. Also the
! current wd driver may will fail if you disconnect/reattach a
! card (especially if it has a different size).
!
! I do have a memory mapping driver somewhere (for a pre 1.3 NetBSD
! because some COMPAQ's seem to only bridge IO-addresses dicovered at
! boottime to ISA (and I had a ISA/PCMCIA card in that system).
!
! I'm using one to get the pictures of my digital camera into the
! machine.

I patched my wdc_pcmcia.c, but as the machine doesn't get that far
when the CF card is plugged in, I don't know if the patch would work
for me.  I'm trying to use the CF cards on a ThinkPad 310E.

  -jm