Subject: Re: Config ...
To: Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/21/1998 09:45:17
On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Parag Patel wrote:

> >I'm also not sure if reading a label on a volume is the best mechanism
> for
> >identifying it. But that's a different issue.
>
> As an aside, Macs don't care about SCSI ID very much since they name
> each volume (mountable paritition) on a drive.  The equivalent of root,
> the System Folder, is selected from the volume marked as the "Startup
> Disk" in a control panel.  SCSI IDs can be shuffled around without
> screwing it up (althouth not without shutting it off and rebooting).
> Volumes can be renamed at any time, so internally it maintains pointers
> to volume tables which then contain the names and pointers to SCSI IDs
> and other whatnot.

Right. And actually Macs had Quantum do a vendor unique Mode Select
page at one point so that SCSI id could be reassigned- all drives would
be shipped at ID 0 I believe (the 'config' address) and then be reassigned
at startup to the next available. Very usable, albeit expensive in
terms of SCSI target space.

It's not that I'm against using labels- it just restricts you to
information that can be scribble on at random, while WWNs and VPD info
is more lack MAC addrs (assigned at manufacturing time) and are
preferrable.