Subject: Re: CardBus, anyone?
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/19/1998 12:10:09
Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:
> That's what I've seen as well.  This brings up another point ... I've
> seen references to a standard "register set" for CardBus bridges
> called Yenta (I believe the full name is "PCI to PCMCIA CardBus Bridge
> Register Specification").  However, I can't _find_ this specification
> anywhere (it's not in the official 13 volume "PC Card Standard" books
> that I just bought).  Anyway, since CardBus bridge chip manufacturers
> seem to be writing to the "Yenta Specification", it would be easier
> to write toward _that_ than a specific chip.

I've not seen an official spec on it either.  It 'discovered' the
name, and info about it in the MindShare/AW CardBus book.

Quick perusal of that gave me enough info to write the bits of
pci_subr.c which print it (type 2 header).  There's a fair bit
more information in the book than that, but I didn't feel like
expressing it all in code.  8-)

Obviously, that book isn't an official standards document, but I think
it has enough info to probably make a useful start at the code.

> Okay, I think I see.  Because you can have either a pcmcia or cardbus
> card in a slot, you'd want to do the "bus attachment" _after_ you've
> figured out what kind of card you have.

Right.  It's not really "bus attachment" it's "card device"
attachment, of course.  Card devices happen to look like "busses" to
the autoconfig code, in that they can have children.  8-)

In a nutshell, you want to attach the right "card device" depending on
what kind of card you have.  Then under that, you want to attach any
subdevices that correspond to functions, emulated ATA disk(s?), etc.

Like what's done now, except right now the 'pcmcia' "card device" is
always attached there.

cgd
Plug: Get your official NetBSD-1.3.2 CDROM set today! http://www.netbsd.com/