Subject: Re: Before I offically call this a time bug can someone else try this? (fwd)
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@iafrica.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/07/1998 14:20:59
On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> XPG makes it very clear that time_t is signed. As with off_t's, it
> only says that it is an arithmetic type, but then goes on to say that
> other types are unsigned, making it clear that "arithmetic type" means
> normal signed integer.

"arithmetic type" is defined in the C standard (ANSI/ISO 9899-1990
section 6.1.2.5):

	[...]

        The type "char", the signed and unsigned integer types, and the
        enumerated types are collectively called "integral types". [...]

        Integral and floating types are collectively called "arithmetic
        types". [...]

	[...]

I don't have access to any XPG specs, but I would be surprised if they
were using "arithmetic type" in any different sense.

--apb (Alan Barrett)