Subject: Re: MIDI
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/06/1998 11:14:55
> On Thu, 6 Aug 1998 19:16:58 +0200 (MET DST)
>  Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se> wrote:
>
>  > Sorry to disappoint you.  The com port attachment is one of the
>  > dream parts of that message.  But there certainly are platforms
>  > where it could be made real (amiga?).
>
> MIDI on a regular serial port _REALLY_ should be done as a line
> discipline :-)

Could we also have a pseudo device which opens up a serial port and
puts it into the midi line discipline? You're right that MIDI should be
a line discipline, but I think life will be easier if we can present
a common "midi-device" behavior.

Actually, it doesn't need to be a line discipline. It's a goofy
baud rate to be sure, but other than that, it's 8N1 async serial.
A pseudo device could just try to open the serial port (clocal, etc)
and set the baud rate to the right rate. If it works, then the pseudo-dev
open returns successfuly, and all reads & writes are mirrored to the tty.

You'd probably need one pseudo device type per serial port type, unless
we wanted to sacrafice minor number space. That'd probably be ok as we now
have 20 bits of minor space, and I doubt anyone will have more than 8
types of serial interfaces and 131,071 serial ports. :-)

Take care,

Bill

Take care,

Bill