Subject: Re: MIDI
To: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/06/1998 10:06:16
On Thu, Aug 06, 1998 at 09:47:44AM +0200, Lennart Augustsson wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've had a MIDI driver for over a year now, and I've finally gotten
> around to making the last few changes I wanted to make.  Here's a quick
> description of it.
>
> The midi driver attaches to the sound card driver, just as the audio
> driver attaches today.
>
> The code for the device to support midi driver attachment might range
> from very simple to very complex.  If the hardware is just a MIDI port
> it simply passes the bytes it recieve on to the serial line (simple).
> If the card is a syntheziser it will need to decode the MIDI data and
> play it (complex).  You can see what the midi attach routines are
> already today in /src/sys/dev/audio_if.h.
>
> So we might have (most of these are dreams :-):
> com0 at isa0            # COM port
>  midi3 at com0

Is the latter hardwired to MIDI? I guess it should rather be a line
discipline, attaching to any serial device:

There are at least two cases which are important:

- serial ports that can do the uhm... 31250 bps needed by MIDI, connected
  through simple opto coupling interfaces (I'm aware of the com
  hardware/driver and of the Amiga internal "ser" device; any others?)

- other serial ports, connected through a hardware bitrate translator (yes,
  a midi freak told me there ARE such beasts)

Regards,
	Ignatios