Subject: Re: putting functionality in firmware vs OS
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Lucio de Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/30/1998 08:51:27
According to Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com> :

> > The way things are going, it may well be easier to simply burn *BSD into
> > the ROM and let it be the firmware as well just to avoid replicating
> > code. :-)
>
> Wow, I didn't have to be the one to suggest this!
>
> There's already enough flash in most machines to hold a trimmed install
> floppy image.

Indeed.  If we could extricate from the kernel most of the
functionality involved in identifying and setting up device drivers, we
would get a very tidy situation all round.  If we do it with the
cooperation of the other Freeunix camps, we could even come up with
something the manufacturers may be interested in.

Sounds well worth the effort to me, and it's unlikely that commercial
interests would tackle this type of task.

If anyone wants to set the ball rolling, I'll provide whatever support
I can.

++L