Subject: Re: PnP weirdness
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd1.cygnus.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/29/1998 11:56:02
Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com> writes:
> However, this can be fixed without changing
> the drivers.  When pci_mapreg read a bar and finds that it is 0
> it use try to alloc either I/O or memory space appropriate for
> the bar.  Not that I'm volunteering to write the code....

That wouldn't be ... particularly easy.

In order to find a 'safe' region to use, you have to know what regions
are already used.  In the current system, that information is
accumulated throughout the autoconfiguration process, and devices
which need dynamic allocation must be configured after devices which
use 'fixed' addresses (i.e. are configured by hardware, BIOS, or
whatever, before kernel start).

So, when you saw a PCI card that needed dynamic allocation, you'd have
to defer it until after you'd done other configuration...

cgd