Subject: Re: PnP weirdness
To: None <smpatel@real.com>
From: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/29/1998 19:19:15
> Most BIOS setup utilities have an option to specify that you have a "Plug
> & Play Compatible OS".  Setting this option will make it so the BIOS
> doesn't configure your PnP cards.  You may need to hunt for this option,
> because many of the BIOS setup's aren't clear about what the setting is
> really doing.
I tried that.  I didn't see any difference with the sound card.  But maybe
I forgot to power cycle to reset everything.

But, something else happened.  PCI GURUS:
When I claimed that the OS was PnP aware then the PCI based ethernet
card stopped working because the PCI attachment code said it couldn't
map its I/O registers.  Why?  Do we depend on BIOS to set up the PCI
cards?  Why?

        -- Lennart