Subject: Re: setitimer() bug?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Santiago de la Paz <garnett@bogus.cs.colorado.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/21/1998 16:37:35
"Charles M. Hannum" (mycroft) wrote:

> The real answer here is to punt all the tick garbage and do
> high-precision interval timing.  (I have an interesting story related
> to this, about what I learned from disassembling the NextStep timer
> code...)

Of course, some platforms (like Sun3) are going to be restricted to the
resolution of the HZ clock tick, regardless of any timer improvements
in other platforms.  Which is not to say that it shouldn't be done for
those platforms, though, just that problems like these will always be
around.

~james

James Garnett                             Department of Computer Science
Research Assistant                        The University of Colorado at Boulder
             http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~garnett

       "...Perl stepped forward and claimed it could do the job. While
        mature, its character was questionable.  Its syntax was almost
        offensive to look upon; a crazy quilt of old rags and royal garb."
                       -- James Logajan, "A Tale of Five Languages"