Subject: Re: Questions about NCR53C9X driver
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/19/1998 00:45:30
Hello!

Sorry for the delay but we had to celebrate the end of our studies. :-) At
least the exams are all done now, only the diploma work is missing.
Plus I have solved the mail filtering problems now.

In message <Pine.NEB.3.96.980714130424.28448D-100000@riscbsd5.client.nc.com>
Mark Brinicombe wrote:

> You may like to have a look at some of the Amiga drivers e.g.
> amiga/dev/flsc.c
> A quick glance at the code indicates that it has support for PIO mode as
> well as DMA. From memory the NODMA stuff was an extra flag Scott Stevens

I forgot to ask which other cards use this driver. Thanks for the hint, I'll
sup the amiga port to have a look at this.

> added to support non-dma modes but this can be implemented within the DMA
> frame work of the driver.

I need to look where this flag is used.
Looking at the other card's drivers will also help.
But I'd still like to get some help from the people who are maintaining the
NCR53C9X driver. Sorry if I missed anything of this because of the mail
filtering problems I mentioned. I don't so though as I got the mailing list
archive from the ftp server.

> The immediate thought is would be to perhaps base a new csc driver on
> something like the flsc driver with the DMA code removed and just always
> force the PIO support to be active.

I want to make steps towards using DMA and not away from it. Plus the current
driver is working very fine for PIO, it just doesn't use the current version
of the MI NCR driver. Is there anything wrong with it that would make it a
good idea to rewrite this driver?

Michael Hitch, thanks for your offer, but as I said above, I want to get DMA
working so it's probably the best idea to consult the Amiga drivers Mark
mentioned.
--
So long, Markus

PGP key available on request or from