Subject: list of "zombie" inodes in kernel?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/17/1998 22:49:54
The following appeared on netbsd-users recently:

> On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Brian C. Grayson wrote:
[snip]
> > I'd bet that if you rebooted, df and du would agree.
[snip]
> Yes, the space was reclaimed after a reboot:
[snip]
> Thanks for the help :-)

Am I correct in theorizing that there is a list in the kernel somewhere that
holds the inodes which have 0 filesystem refcounts but are still open in at
least one process and therefore cannot be freed just yet?

A summary of how many blocks are in "zombie" state would be a darn nifty
extra to have in 'df'. Where in the kernel and/or libkvm would I start
looking for this hypothetical list of "zombie" blocks?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com