Subject: Questions about NCR53C9X driver
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/14/1998 17:50:44
Hello everybody!

I need some questions answered by somebody who knows the ins and outs of the
NCR53C9x driver.
The background is that there's been a driver for arm32 for a while for the
Cumana SCSI cards. It suffered from an NDA (for information which completely
fits in cscreg.h (sic)!) until about December last year, so not much
development was going on.
Mark Brinicombe doesn't want to merge this code into the NetBSD tree as it is
still using an older, private copy of the NCR driver. But he gave a copy to
me so I can compile kernels and play with it.
So to make him and me happy, I want to upgrade the Cumana driver to use the
current MI version of the NCR53C9x driver. We're talking about going from
version 1.20 to 1.26.

OK, my questions:
-What functional changes were made between 1.20 and 1.26?

-The card specific code is calling ncr53c9x_readregs() in csc_dma_go(), but
this is not declared in ncr53c9xvar.h, so I suppose it's not to be used
outside ncr53c9x.c. Is that true? If yes, how can I replace it?

-If no DMA is done (which is the only working mode for now), this is done in
cscattach() (with csc and sc being pointers to a ncr53c9x_softc):
 if(csc->sc_dc == NULL)
   sc->sc_flags |= NCR_NODMA;
Now there is no such define any more in 1.26. What's the equivalent?
Is it ncr53c9x_dmaselect?

I hope somebody can help me.
Oh, and please mail a copy of your answers to me, because my mail system's
filters are eating mailing list messages - probably because of a bug. :-(
--
So long, Markus

PGP key available on request or from
my homepage at http://www.gp.fht-esslingen.de/students/emw4maba