Subject: RFC-PCMCIA/CardBus support
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael South <msouth@ablecom.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/12/1998 14:09:46
I'm going to take a stab at adding support for my laptop's Cirrus Logic
PD6832 CardBus controller for PCI. This being NetBSD, it should be done
The Right Way. There are some issues I'd like opinions on:

* Active projects.  Anybody already working on this stuff?

* Interrupt mappings.  This can be very convoluted, depending on how the
hardware is wired. The PD6832 has four different interrupt modes. Even
the PD6729 could be wired for INTA#/INTB# or for IRQx. How should this
be communicated to the driver?

* CardBus support.  How should the DMA be integrated into the rest of
NetBSD?

* ATA mode, zoomed video, etc. Do we want a gadzillion routines added to
the pcmcia_chip_functions structure, or should we rethink?

* Config options for PCI devices. What about putting such things as IRQ
type and mask, DMA mask, memory windows, etc. as device options (as IRQ
and port addresses are for ISA devices)?

Thank you for your thoughts.