Subject: Re: xxx_scsi_cmd(xs) return values
To: Dante Profeta <dante@mclink.it>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/06/1998 11:03:43
On Jul 3, Dante Profeta wrote
> Could you please explain me the meanings of the following return values
> from xxx_scsi_cmd(xs)?
>
> SUCCESSFULLY_QUEUED
> COMPLETE
> TRY_AGAIN_LATER
>
> I can guess their meanings, but I need a formal definition.

I guess you guessed them rigth :)
TRY_AGAIN_LATER: the adapter didn't have enougth resources to queue the
command. the upper-level driver should retry it later.
SUCCESSFULLY_QUEUED: the request has been queued by the low-level driver, a
callback will be called by the driver when the request execution is complete.
This is the 'normal' return value.
COMPLETE: the request execution is complete, no callback will be called.
It's always the case for POLLED request, it's also the case when an immediate
error occurs.

I hope this is detailed enouth ...