Subject: Re: CompactFLASH support?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/30/1998 07:10:13
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>  wrote:
 > > maller than PCMCIA cards.  CompactFLASH cards look like IDE disks to the
 > > host and come in capacities of 4 MB to 24 MB and more.  These cards can
 > > be plugged directly to PCMCIA slots using a passive adapter card.  CF
 > > cards are used in digital cameras, some GSM phones and other small
 > > portable devices.  I think they are usually ms-dos formatted so they can
 > > be read on "any" machine.

I have a bunch of these cards. (bunch == O(5))

 > I don't know, but don't the sharks have such things?
 > (see http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/iag/info/romcard.html or something)

The shark has a romcard slot but these cards are pcmcia form-factor and the
sharks romcard slot is _not_ pcmcia form-factor or even electrically the same
(afaict).

 > Would be cool to have some support for these beasts... :)

It would be... I know I just plugged one into my laptop and it wasn't seen as
anything but I didn't try very hard... I also have a small controller that
has a pcmcia slot and an IDE 40 pin connector on it.. With that controller, I
can mount/read/write the card...